Sunday, September 23, 2012

Topic sentences in a paragraph!


Topic Sentences

Every paragraph needs a topic sentence. The topic sentence is usually the first sentence of the paragraph. It gives the reader an idea of what the paragraph is going to be about. 
The supporting sentences need to be about the idea presented in the topic sentence. In a paragraph, every sentence should "belong". 



Here is an example: 
I had a wonderful summer. First, I started sleeping in every day. I would then go swimming with my friends. I stayed up late watching TV a lot, and I went to camp for a week. I wished my summer would never end!

What is the topic sentence? (Ask yourself what the paragraph is about.)
"I had a wonderful summer" is the topic sentence. Everything else supports that idea. The final sentence is the concluding sentence. It sums up what the author wants to communicate in the paragraph. "I wished my summer would never end!".
_______________________________________________________________
1) Here is an example of a paragraph that has a sentence that doesn't quite fit in.
 Try to find it!  

Regardless of what some people may think, the desert is a beautiful place. The blossoming wildflowers in the spring are a joy to see. Spectacular sunsets delight the eye. Sometimes I go swimming. The occasional quail or roadrunner dart across the sandy roads. It is a unique experience.

2)What  sentence doesn't belong? Why?
_____________________________________________
_____________________________________________

Have fun!
Manal Abbas

1 comment: