Wednesday, September 18, 2013

DEVELOPING A RESEARCH QUESTION

Sample Activities:
Teacher:  Manal Abbas
Umbrella topic: Addiction


DEVELOPING A RESEARCH QUESTION
1. Why?
It's absolutely necessary to develop a research question that you're interested in or care about in order to focus your research and your project.

2. How?

CHOOSE A QUESTION THAT IS NEITHER TOO BROAD NOR TOO NARROW.

For example:
If you choose drug addiction (a topic that can be researched), you might ask the following questions:

a. What is the 1994 rate of drug addiction among teenagers in Israel?

b. What can we do to reduce drug addiction in Israel?

c. How education plays a role in reducing drug addiction among teenagers in Israel?



Exercise 1:. Discuss with your partner which question is appropriate to be a research question and why? Use the evaluation form.

3. EVALUATE YOUR OWN RESEARCH QUESTION
8 questions to evaluate the quality of your research questions
Group's evaluation
What I think?
Questions


1. Does the question deal with a topic or issue that interest me enough to spark my own thoughts and opinions?


2. Is the question easily and fully researchable?


3. What type of information do I need to answer the research question?



4. Is the range of this information reasonable?


5. Given the type and scope of the information that I need, is my question too broad, too narrow, or o.k.?


6. What sources will have the type of information that I need to answer the research question (journals, books, internet resources, people to interview)?


7. Can I access these sources?


8. Given my answers to the above questions, do I have a good quality research question that I actually will be able to answer by doing research?


Adapted from : http://www.esc.edu/htmlpages/writerold/menus.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment